Effective teamwork is the engine of performance in every organization. In IGS’ interactive, action-packed team building workshops, participants learn the team development cycle, learn to create a vision to guide their team, and practice leadership strategies to support team growth and fuel performance.
IGS has developed and delivered customized leadership and management training programs to many governmental, non-profit, academic and for-profit organizations including Portland Development Commission, Oregon Liquor Control Commission, Oregon Department of Transportation, Oregon Child Development Coalition, and Northwest Evaluation Association.
Example Training Outline
The following illustrates a typical outline for a change management training program. IGS will customize the contents of your organization’s training program to meet your needs following an training needs assessment at the start of your project.
- Two program modules delivered in 4-hour sessions, for a total of 8-hours of training.
- Workshops will be delivered in a classroom setting with one trainer for every fifteen participants.
- Each session is highly interactive and experiential with practical “hands on” activities that are targeted to the audience. Classes are fast paced and action- packed and includes: training videos, assessments, agency specific case studies, role play, and group learning games. Example activities may include items such as:
- Juggling Activity- Objective: Understanding stages of group development – Forming, Storming, Norming, Performing and how stages relate to change
- Rope Blindfold Activity- Objective: Developing Trust
- The Contest- Objective: Understanding Win-Win
- Spaghetti & Marshmallow Bridge Building Activity- Objective: Understanding of Collaboration
In order to be effective, teams must have:
- A common goal or mission
- A degree of interdependence based on an appreciation of the strengths of individual members
- A belief that they can accomplish more as a team than through individual effort.
The goal of this workshop is for teams to: develop an understanding of what it means to be collaborative, develop an increased understanding of how a team functions, and develop an understanding of who they are as individuals as well as who they are as a team. In addition, the team will develop a shared vision designed to move them forward beyond the way they have done things in the past.
Module 1: Team Effectiveness – Focus on How the Team Functions and Develop Strategies for Improving Performance.
- Identify the elements of a high functioning team
- Understanding the stages of team development
- Understanding you are as a team
- Define how you will work together collaboratively and communicate effectively.
Module 2: Focus on the Future
- Create a Collective Vision
- Define Mission Statement
- Develop Values that are Consistent
- Develop an Action Plan to Meet Goals and Objectives
- Commitment to Moving Forward – Accountability!